With just three months left in 2021, Americans have reported an estimated $325 million in financial losses due to robocalls. This represents more than 25% of the $1 billion in total reported fraud losses across all contact methods according to RoboKiller, a spam call and SMS blocker app.
Car warranty scams are expected to be the largest phone scam for 2021, knocking the 2020 leaders of Social Security and IRS scams out of the top spot. Robokiller says these early trends indicate that reported financial losses are on track to increase by 40% in 2021. In their 2021 report, Robokiller found an alarming increase of not only robo calls but also people falling victim to scammers.
If you would like to avoid being part of that 40% and get less robocalls, there are some things you can do.
- Look out for emails and text messages with URLs that contain misspelled words or a combination of numbers and letters. If the URL doesn’t look right, don’t click it. The URL could install malware onto your computer or smartphone.
- Don’t answer the phone to unknown callers, especially those who call at odd hours. You shouldn’t follow any requested call or text prompts.
- Never provide personal information to unknown callers.
- Consider downloading a spam call and SMS blocker app to prevent calls from reaching you.
If you fall victim to a scam here are some things to do immediately.
- Start with reporting the scam to the FTC. According to the FTC, if you received a robocall trying to sell you…