Michigan residents who lost their jobs in 2020 and filed their state income tax returns early this year need to file an amended state return to get extra cash back from a new tax break.

But if you file that amended Michigan return, it looks like you’re actually going to see some decent money soon from Michigan unlike what’s turned into a long wait for many for money from the Internal Revenue Service.

It’s worth paying attention here if you weren’t sure what to do. Or if you’d like to get a few hundred dollars soon. 

What Michigan is asking taxpayers to do

On April 27, the Michigan Department of Treasury announced that it is requesting that an amended return be submitted by taxpayers who already filed a 2020 state income tax return that did not exclude a portion of unemployment benefits from taxable income. 

Read more…